How do I report a crime and what will happen afterwards?

If it is an emergency, call 911 immediately. If you want to report a crime that has already occurred and you live within the city limits, please contact the Billings Police Department at (406) 657-8200. A peace officer will respond and start an investigation by asking you a series of questions. Once the investigation is complete, the officer may or may not arrest the individual. If no arrest is made, the report may be submitted to the City Attorney’s Office to be reviewed by a prosecutor who will decide what charge(s), if any, should be prosecuted. It is at the prosecutor’s discretion whether or not each case is charged.

Show All Answers

1. What is the phone number or website to the County Attorney's Office?
2. How do I obtain an Order of Protection?
3. A family member used my name at a traffic stop and now I have a warrant. What do I do?
4. I am the victim of a crime. How do I get information about the case?
5. Where are you located and where do I park?
6. How do I report a crime and what will happen afterwards?
7. I am a victim in a criminal case. Is the City Attorney’s Office my attorney?
8. Is it my decision whether I want “charges pressed”?
9. How do I find out if an offender is in jail?