Marijuana Business License

On November 11, 2021, the Billings City Council adopted Ordinance 21-5785 establishing regulations for the operation of marijuana businesses and establishing requirements for marijuana businesses to obtain business license. This ordinance established the types and maximum number of each type of marijuana business. The ordinance allows for a maximum of eight (8) Medical Marijuana Dispensaries within City limits. Also on November 11, 2021, the Billings City Council adopted Ordinance 21-5784 establishing the zoning regulations for marijuana business licenses.  

On November 2, 2021, citizens of Billings voted to permanently prohibit adult use dispensaries. As a result of that vote, the only allowed marijuana business types are Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, Marijuana Cultivator, Marijuana Transporter, Marijuana Manufacturer, and Marijuana Testing Laboratory.

Current license fees for marijuana businesses can be found here

Current Marijuana Business Zoning Map can be found here.  

Information on obtaining a Zoning Compliance Permit can be found here.  


Medical Marijuana Dispensary License Application:  Use this to apply for a Medical Marijuana Dispensary to be located within City Limits. Only 8 licenses will be issued. In order to be eligible for the next round of the lottery, completed applications must be submitted to the City’s Finance Department no later than June 30, 2022. If more than 8 eligible applications are received, then a lottery will occur following this deadline.

Marijuana Cultivator License Application:  Use this to apply for a cultivator license. This license will allow a business to establish within the City limits that will plant, cultivate, grow, dry, package, and label marijuana and sell to manufacturers, licensed dispensaries, and other licensed marijuana cultivators, and to sell marijuana products to licensed dispensaries. The City will only allow up to tier 4 canopy licenses, as defined by the State of Montana.

Marijuana Transporter License Application:  Use this to apply for a transportation license. This will be issued to a person who will provide logistics, distribution, delivery, and storage of marijuana and marijuana products.

Marijuana Manufacturer License Application:  Use this to apply for a manufacturer license. This license will allow a marijuana manufacturer to convert or to compound marijuana into marijuana products. A marijuana manufacturer licensee may buy marijuana and marijuana products from licensed marijuana cultivators and licenses manufacturers and may sell products to licensed dispensaries.

Marijuana Testing Laboratory License Application:  Use this to apply for a testing laboratory license. This license will allow for the establishment of a business that provides testing of representative samples of marijuana and marijuana products and to provide information about the chemical composition and potency of a sample.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How will the lottery for dispensaries work and what do I need to know about it?

A:  The Billings City Council authorized a maximum of 8 Medical Marijuana Dispensaries within City Limits. Additionally, voters prohibited the Adult Use Dispensaries within City limits. This means that there may be a lottery for Medical Dispensaries, but no licenses will be issued for Adult Use Dispensaries, nor can any adult use sales occur within City limits. 

The City will accept completed applications for medical marijuana dispensaries. If the City receives fewer than 8 eligible applicants, licenses will be considered quarterly. If the City receives more than 8 eligible applicants, a lottery will be held. Each eligible business will receive one entry into the lottery.

Q:  Are the fees refundable for the application for lottery? 

A:  The initial application fee of $350, due at the time an application is submitted, is non-refundable.

Q:  Will Medical marijuana and recreational marijuana be available at the same business within City limits?

A:  No.  The Billings voters prohibited adult use retail sales dispensaries the medical dispensaries.  Licensed medical dispensaries will not be able to sell retail adult use marijuana within the City limits of Billings.

Q:  Will Marijuana licensees be permitted to sell their license the way alcohol licensees may sell their licenses?

A:  No.  Marijuana licenses may not be transferred.  

Q:  Can anyone apply for a license to grow, sell, or manufacture marijuana products?

A:  No.   From January 1, 2022 until July 1, 2023, only Montana medical marijuana licensees who were licensed by the State on November 3, 2020 (or had an application pending with DPHHS on that date) may be issued a license for cultivation, manufacture, or medical marijuana sales.