VISTA Member Benefits & Eligibility
Members begin service throughout the year and larger classes begin service in January / February and July / August.
- Qualified applicants must be able to relocate to Montana for a year of service.
- The opportunity to make a difference in a community with dynamic civic leaders.
- Monthly living allowance of approximately $1,130 per month (gross).
- Healthcare benefits.
- Approximately $6,300 for graduate school or to repay student loans OR $1,800 post-service cash stipend.
- Relocation assistance from the candidate's Permanent Address to the Host Site at $0.40 / mile.
- Settling-In Allowance of $725 to help with housing lease-up expenses.
- Child-care stipend for income-eligible members.
- Training and professional development: VISTA members receive invaluable experience working directly with community leaders while honing essential skills that will last a lifetime.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility for federal employment after completing service.
- Full-year members must have a four year college degree at the time of placement and must be able to commit to serve on a full-time basis for one year.
- All members must be a U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident and not be listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry.
- Service requires full immersion in the project and community, therefore, full time employment outside service is discouraged. However, VISTA members are eligible for part time employment with Host Site and Sponsor approval.
Individuals interested in becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA member must submit an online application through the AmeriCorps VISTA website. To search for other B-MVP listings, please visit the MyAmeriCorps website and enter BMVP under Program Name.