January 26, 2023 - January 27, 2023
Point in Time count
Thursday, January 26, 2023
Background: Point in Time (PiT) is a national one-night count of all people experiencing homelessness, which happens every January. The goal of the count is to reach out to both unsheltered and sheltered persons who are currently experiencing homelessness. This includes people sleeping on the streets, in vehicles, parks or camps, and other places not meant for human habitation. The Continuum of Care (CoC) coordinates the PiT Count in Yellowstone County. We are seeking volunteers to help administer PiT surveys at meal sites, daytime and overnight shelters, other known locations, and targeted neighborhoods.
Purpose: Volunteers will conduct data collection on the night of the PiT. Volunteers will deploy in teams of two to complete a basic survey with individuals experiencing homelessness. Surveys will be collected at various locations in the community that are visited by people experiencing homelessness. Volunteers will be equipped with care packages to provide as an incentive to people who complete the survey.
Logistics: This year’s PiT Count will take place on Thursday, January 26th from 5:00pm to 12:00am. All volunteers will meet in the parking lot of HRDC at 7 N. 31st St. at 4:00pm for a brief orientation before being paired up in teams and receiving assignments for the night. Every effort will be made to pair up a seasoned volunteer with those who are new to the PiT Count and/or those who might need extra help. When possible, volunteer preference will also be considered as assignments are made.
Time Commitment: There is a short online training and survey to complete to be eligible to volunteer. Additionally, an in-person orientation will be scheduled the night of the PiT Count. A minimum of three (3) hours is requested with various shifts available.
Locations: Onsite at HRDC and various shelter locations in Billings | Offsite at pre-determined social service agencies and/or meal sites in the community | Offsite at various outdoor locations in the community, including parks and camps where unhoused neighbors are presently residing
• Coordinate with CoC staff and other volunteers to accurately collect data
• Completely and accurately fill out surveys with people who are experiencing homelessness
• Provide and manage incentives for people who complete the survey
• Must be over the age of 18
• Participate in an online training session before the night of the PiT Count
• Attend an in-person orientation the night of the PiT Count
• Availability the night of January 26, 2023 for a 3+ hour shift
• Accurately and carefully collect data and keep information confidential
• Respectfully and conscientiously work with people from a diversity of backgrounds
• Maintain personal safety while collecting data (travel in pairs)
• Manage incentives for people who complete the survey
Volunteer sign up contact:
Tess Besaw, CoC Coordinated Entry System (CES) coordinator
Click here to email | phone: (406) 861-0445