Business Fire Inspection Checklist
The following checklist addresses common fire code violations and is designed to help business owners prepare for a future fire inspection. Some violations on the list may not apply to your business. Other violations may be addressed during the inspection that are not on this list. Although the fire code contains thousands of code sections, compliance with these items will help make the inspection process run more smoothly. Find here a printable Business Fire Inspection Checklist (.pdf).
- Is the means of egress unobstructed and clear?
- Are exit doors unlocked?
- Do the exit door(s) have only one lock/latch?
- Is the stairwell(s) clear of storage?
- Is emergency lighting operational with a back-up power supply?
- Are exit sign(s) illuminated with a back-up power supply (bulbs and batteries)?
FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS
- Is the fire alarm system inspection current (within 1yr)?
- Is the standpipe system inspection current (within 1yr)?
- Is the sprinkler system inspection current (within 1yr)?
- Are fire sprinkler control valves accessible?
- Are fire sprinkler systems maintained in an operative condition?
- Are sprinkler control valves monitored or locked open?
- Is the Fire Department Connection (FDC) visible and accessible?
- Is the FDC maintained with plugs/caps?
- Are fire extinguisher(s) present?
- Is the fire extinguisher(s) inspection current (within 1yr)?
- Fire extinguisher minimum size 2A-10BC?
- Is the fire extinguisher(s) in a cabinet or mounted on a bracket (maximum 5’ above floor)?
- Is the fire extinguisher(s) visible and unobstructed?
- Is the kitchen hood system inspection current (within 6mo)?
- Is a class K (kitchen) fire extinguisher present?
- Is the kitchen hood clean (without excessive grease)?
- Are compressed gas containers secured?
- Are there less than 10 gallons of flammable liquids stored for maintenance purposes?
- Are flammable liquids stored away from exits/egress route?
- Is LP (propane) gas stored outside of public buildings?
- Is LP (propane) gas stored outside of a basement?
- Are electrical boxes covered with a cover plate with no exposed wiring?
- Are electrical panels unobstructed with 36" of clearance?
- Extension cords do not pass through ceilings, walls, or under doors?
- Extension cords only used for temporary use?
- Are power strips/taps plugged directly into permanent a receptacle?
- Is combustible storage 36" away from the furnace and water heater?
- Is the building clear of combustible waste creating a fire hazard?
- Are electrical, mechanical, and boiler rooms clear of combustible storage?
- Are oily rags stored in listed disposal container?
- Is storage orderly?
- Is storage 2’ from ceiling in a non-sprinklered building?
- Is storage 18" from sprinkler heads in a sprinklered building?
- Is the address posted and visible from the street (minimum 4” high numbers)?
- Are firewalls and barriers free of breaches or penetrations?
- Are fire rated doors maintained and operational (self-closing and latching)?
- If you have a Knox box does it contain updated keys?